Sunday, April 12, 2009

H*P*T*R Bullshit

There is too many places to live, too many living situations. My most recent to living in a decent size 2 bedroom, living room, dining room full kitchen and full bathroom place was this...


A studio...with no bathroom or kitchen. The bathrooms and kitchen was communal with 4 other rooms similar to this one. Ha this was right in the heart of Williamsburg, just blocks from McCarren Park and Bedford Avenue. 

I remember the summer I lived here was pretty great. Ha, the easily verbalized stereotypes of the Williamsburg area have become dated and overused, and normally targeted at the wrong people. The majority of the people I encountered in Williamsburg were young artists, most of which did not fit the hipster stereotype that people are so quickly and fond to use. It seems like the idea of branding someone a hipster is a trend itself. 

Back to the room, the rent was 600$ but i was subleting the space that was previously occupied by 2 roommates. They are friends and gave me a break. But even though the space was a cramped, secluded, one window  and the worst the basement was a recording studio that would blare music till the dead of night.
 
But seriously living here was probably my favorite places. My mother thought it was "horrid" in her own words. But I never once felt unsafe living here, even rainy days seemed pleasant because the coffee shops were still full, the parks still had people walking around. Why? Well I would assume because these people who live here are still full of life. Don't live necessarily by a day planner. That sort of life is better suited for maybe a more Park Slope crowd, Haha, I kid I kid.  One thing I did notice in Williamsburg is that if any of the douchebaggery that occured, occured on friday and saturday nights when the MANHATTAN crowd, for the most part, would invade the newly trendy area and  spill havoc amongst the streets of Bedford. 

I honestly liked this area a lot and no one would dare me brand me a H*****R or would they? Either way I think it is just an excuse to categorize people into groups unlike your own. When in fact anyone could be categorized by the way they dress, or the way they talk. If I have 2 dollars to my name this week does that make me poor white trash? Really cause my ben sherman jeans tell me otherwise, haha I kid a lot.

But now I live in queens. Sunnyside to be exact. And the fact that I live here leaves me clear to any stereotypical branding. I live with old people, young professionals and people who most likely had no prior knowledge of the city before they moved here and said "hmm sunnyside...that can't be all bad" 

My only question to myself is...what was my excuse?

No comments: